Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cajun Pork

This was my kids' introduction to okra. It went over fine--my daughter kept poking at the seeds and asking what they were. My husband on the other hand, raved about how good it tasted! The leftovers are really tasty wrapped in a tortilla with cheese!


Cajun Pork
Adapted from Slow Cooker Favorites Made Healthy, 2005

2 1/2 -3 ponds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 1” cubes
2 medium yellow peppers, cut into 1” pieces
1 Tbs. Cajun seasoning (I make my own)
1 can (14 ½ oz) diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
1 16oz package frozen okra (for cooking day)
Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
Hot rice

In a labeled gallon ziptop bag place the first four ingredients. Lay flat in the freezer.
On cooking day, dump the contents of the bag into a 3 ½-4 quart crockpot on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-3 ½ hours. 30 minutes before serving, stir in the okra. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce. Serve over hot rice.

1 comment:

  1. this looks fabulous! And maybe the only way you'd get me to eat okra! lol

    ReplyDelete