Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Campfire Cooking: Stuffed Onions (Cozy Caves)

My family went camping last weekend in the Hoh Rainforest in Northwest Washington. The forecast called for rain, but I stubbornly hoped that the weather man would be wrong.

We were REALLY glad we had invested in a new tarp.

Anyway, on to the tasty campfire food! The first night we ate "Cozy Caves", more simply identified as hollow onions stuffed inside with a meatloaf mixture. I prepped the stuffed onions at home, securely wrapped them in a double layer of heavy duty foil, and nestled them into the cooler next to the ice block. At camp, once the fire was going, I used tongs to place the Cozy Caves in the coals.

Half an hour later, the packets were sizzling and bubbling and the campsite smelled like roasted meatloaf. YUM. When you are damp and cold with fat drops of cold water splatting on your head, that warm home-cooked smell is VERY satisfying.

The biggest onions took a little longer to cook, but were worth the wait. The outer layers of the unions were golden roasted brown and the meat was cooked well. The kids and I added some BBQ sauce, but my husband just added a little salt.

No pictures: it was too wet to pull out my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment