Sunday, October 2, 2011

Homemade Lunch Kits

When I go grocery shopping with the kids, they beg for the little lunch kits. You know, the little flat packages with 5 slices of American cheese, 5 slices of bologna, and 5 tiny round crackers. Oh, and a little candy bar to round out that delicious, healthy meal.

Please hear my sarcasm. I don't think there is anything healthy about those little kits at all. And I can't bear to spend $2.50 on something that I could prepare myself for about $.50.

I often send the same ingredients in individual plastic containers along with some fresh fruit and baby carrots. Same concept, healthier version.

Anyway, the last time I dragged the kids shopping with me, they saw PIZZA lunch kits. They really wanted those! Again, I couldn't stomach the price or the ingredients list.

But, right above the kits were packages of pepperoni. And bags of fresh pizza dough. Shredded mozzarella cheese was just down the aisle.

"What if I make homemade pizza lunches for you to take?"

The kids were very excited about this. We bought sliced pepperoni ($1.88) and shredded cheese ($2.00). I decided to make the pizza dough at home because I have all the ingredients on hand already, but it was only $2.50 at the store.


My dough recipe made 32 little bitty pizza crusts. If I combine this with a little container of spaghetti sauce, a container of shredded cheese, and another container of pepperoni, my kiddos can be cool and have pizza kits in their lunches.


And I spent less than $5, so I feel cool, too.

2 comments:

  1. We often do something similar at home rather than ordering pizza. I buy the low carb tortillas, jar pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, and low fat mozz cheese. We make our own individual pizzas and throw them in the oven to melt the cheese. They are good and healthier than takeout pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! We use whole wheat English muffins to make individual pizzas or we visit Papa Murphy's for take-and-bake.

      Delete